Yes my darlings, zucchini AS pasta. A no-fuss, vegan, gluten free, carb free dish, it is easy on your conscience, body and time. Did I mention that your taste buds will love it? I usually eat it by itself, but this time it was paired with a baked fish fillet.
You will need
- 2 green squash / zucchini
- 1 carrot (I add carrot for colour and texture. You could use a combination of yellow and green zucchini instead)
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3 garlic pods. Finely Chopped.
- Salt and freshly ground pepper.
- 1 tbsp Basil (dry or fresh).
- 1tsp dried oregano.
- Handful of pine nuts for garnish.
- Cut zucchini and carrot into thin lengthwise ribbon like strips using a potato peeler. Throw away core of zucchini.
- In a large non stick skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add garlic. Add carrot strips before garlic browns.
- Add zucchini. Cook the zucchini strips in two batches. Add first batch, cook and stir for two minutes till soft and translucent. Add basil and oregano. Give it a good stir so the herbs get distributed evenly.
- Add the remaining zucchini strips (This is so you have a bit of a sauce base and a bit of a bite) Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve topped with roasted pine nuts. It gives a nice crunch to the pasta. Serves 2.
It is delish when topped with grated parmesan cheese, but I have a bikini body to work on for my upcoming beach vacation. Psst.....not added to the recipe, but, like in most things, I also added 2 green chillies. It may not be to everyone's taste though.