Mar 13, 2011

Sangria Blanco





























It was not summer in Denmark, not on 25th February 2011. But it was my birthday, so I was allowed to pretend that we are at some place warm, on a sunny balcony with chilled drinks. I am tired of serving wine and beer, Denmark’s favourite drink to my guests, so carafes of Sangria Blanco it was. Essential ingredients of sweet white wine aside, there is no fast set recipe for Sangria Blanco. There are versions with berries and various kinds of fruits. I had apples and oranges in my fruit bowl and I used those. And hey you fancy pants! Don’t uncork an expensive bottle of wine. That would be a shameful waste. As for me, I bought a cheap sweet wine in a tetra pack.

INGREDIENTS (Makes little over 2 litres) 
  • 2 (750) bottles of sweet Spanish white wine (or a sweet Sauvignon Blanc)
  • 1/2 cup (Ideally Spanish brandy, I used Old Monk Rum!)
  • 1/2 cup Spanish orange liqueur
  • 2 oranges, juiced
  • 1/2 cup superfine sugar
  • 1/2 cup sliced apples.
  • 1/2 cup orange, peeled and sliced.
  • 1/2 lemon, halved and thinly sliced
  • 2 cups club soda, chilled

DIRECTIONS
  • In a cup add sugar, brandy and orange liqueur. Stir till sugar has dissolved well.
  • Combine all ingredients, including chopped fruits, lemon and brandy-orange liqueur-sugar mix in carafes.  Stir well.
  • Cover and refrigerate overnight.
  • Add chilled club soda just before serving. Serve in large wine glasses topped with a slice of an orange or lemon, you ‘know to look nice and all.


No comments:

Post a Comment